If I purchase a new laptop, can I transfer Office 365 to a new laptop?
- Office from IWU allows you to install office on five (5) of your devices.
If I already have Office installed on my computer, should I install Office from IWU?
- If you have already paid (one-time fee) for and installed Office on your computer, you can continue to use that version.
- If you purchase a new computer with a trial version of an Office subscription, Office from IWU is a complete and unlocked version at no additional cost to you.
- If you currently have a subscription to Office, you will save money switching to Office from IWU. However, If you cancel your subscription, you will lose access to Office and any files on the OneDrive.
- If your situation is different than the ones here, let us know, and we will help you with the process.
How do I install Office from IWU on my computer?
- To install the Office from IWU, you must uninstall any existing Microsoft Office installation, including purchased copies and free trials.
I can use Office 365 online. Is "Install Office" different?
- Office 365 web apps can be used on most devices to create discussion posts and papers.
- Office 365 web apps do not have all the features of the downloaded version.
- You cannot add Grammarly or other Add-Ins to the web apps, only the downloaded version.
Can I install Office on a Chromebook, iPad, or phone?
- Office apps are available for certain mobile devices. These can be downloaded at the Office 365 link in the myIWU Portal.
- The full version of Office 365 can be downloaded on Windows (computers and laptops) and Macs (Apple).
Can I use Word to create my discussion posts?
- Yes, you can use Word to type out your discussion posts.
- You can use Word's spelling and grammar check to correct your posts.
- When you are finished, you need to copy and paste the text into the Brightspace discussion box.
- If the Paste Formatting box appears, the Remove Formatting option usually works best.
Can I use Word's References tab to create citations and references in APA?
- This is an option, but the tools in Word are not guaranteed to be correct APA Style format.
- If you use this tool you may lose points on your papers if the APA is not correct.
My computer doesn't have enough memory to install Office. Should I consider upgrading my memory?
- Computers age quickly. Updating an old computer is not a long term fix and can become expensive as parts get older.
- Look into buying an inexpensive new Windows laptop or desktop.
- A new computer is a good investment as an online student.
Will I lose access to Office from IWU when I graduate?
- When you are no longer a student, Office from IWU is deactivated.
- You can choose to pay for the Office subscription after you graduate.